A Spot of Bother

Mark Haddon's A Spot Of Bother is enticing. It is about a man who gradually drowns in his own insanity in a very demure and subtle way. He goes through a period of silent surrender unto his own demons. I think the book is very fitting for people who have no idea how to deal with their personal issues or for people with a lot of family issues at home. I guess, in their own ways, the characters in the book, from degrading family relationships, managed to get up and fight their life struggles. This is especially emphasized on George, the main man in the book, who demonstrates us how one can gracefully diminish into madness and loneliness without causing too much impact and drama to his family and friends.

I won't give a lot of clues what to expect from the book. Just this, something from the book that I will probably take away and actually do when I get depressed or troubled by something or anything (except for number four, I wont tell why). I think these are good and helpful habits (maybe occasionally for five).




It is a good read. I thought it would be similar to Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime but this book is in a heavier and more serious mood, more suitable for older folks. Nonetheless, Haddon's articulate writing still reigns.

Leave a Reply