Watercolor and Sketches

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! Today has been a semi-fruitful day for me.

Look Thrills: Watercolor and Sketches




Today's a holiday so I managed to get an ample amount of time to think things through. The other day, my ma brought home some books. She said she got bored so she went to the bookstore and bought some art books for us to fondle.





I told her "Cool beans, these books are nice. Though, I don't think I would be using them anytime soon." I take it back, ma. I've had this doodle since long time ago of a girl with so much hair which I never colored. I never color anything anyway. I thought of putting life to it today since I was feeling a bit useless.






Borrowed some art materials from my dear twin sister (she's an architect). She gave me the handy dandy Prang which we have used since our compulsory art classes back in third grade and some random brushes I found at her work area.









Why don't they ever make a flesh color for the skin?! I kept plastering on oranges, yellows, reds and whites on the poor girl's face. I tried reading the book to get some clues but got lazy in midst of reading "Getting Started with fruits." Skin turned out a disaster. It was nowhere near any skin color. The color looked more familiar with yellow pears.





 




I have to admit, I don't have a ton of professional experience with any art tool. What I do have are my doodling skills I have possessed since I learned not to listen in class. I doodle lots of animals, by the way. Unicorns, rabbits and dragons are my favorites.









It has been a hobby of mine to keep a sketch book. Though I don't sketch all the time, I sketch on days when I feel like reading a book is too much for my brain to handle and surfing the internet is too much for my eyes to handle. I usually have an idea in mind on what I'm gonna draw but most of the time, I end up googling 'person' on Google images. When I'm serious, I copy the dimensions and the features of the photos I see. When I get confused with whatever I'm drawing, I put the paper on the screen and trace the faces. LOL. I suck at anatomy so I only draw faces.










Anyway, the book 'Watercolour in 10 Steps' got me painting. With the help of my trusty old unkempt scanner, and some careless brush strokes, here's the result.







If you have suggestions on how to go about making the perfect skin color or sketching and water coloring in general, please help me out. I need it! I really want to get better at this.





Siren's Hair by unicornnana on deviantART



Thanks for reading through.

Leave a Reply